[rc5] Getting a few more keys/sec

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Wed Jul 23 20:22:04 EDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Curtis Brown wrote:

> Now, I know this is not a Win95 HowTo list, but most of you *do* network
> and many may use Winblows :) So I've got a dumb question: I want to have a
> TCP stack for my ethernet card with a private TCP/IP address. Win95 does
> not let me use a 127.x.x.x address for some reason, so for now I've got the
> entire class c network of 201.201.201.0 pointing at my LAN. If someday I
> actually want to hit the real internet hosts in that network I won't be
> able to.
>
> Is there a more elegant sollution?

Yes--use the 192.168.1.0 subnet instead.  This subnet (I think the whole
class-B, actually) has been reserved for use on internal networks.  You'll
never run into a computer on the network using those IPs, and it's a far
cleaner solution than trying to use 127 for a  localnet.

                           -Steve Langasek
<wanders off, chuckling about the elegance of OS/2>
-doink-