[rc5] How many blocks are in the buffer - answer

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Thu Jul 24 13:05:42 EDT 1997

I've been a bit irritated at there being no indication in the RC5 v2.000
client of how many blocks the client's processed, or has left to do.

So I've had a look at the size of the buffer files on my Mac.

What I've found is this: the size of both the input and output buffer files
is given by:

size/bytes = 8 + 124 * number of blocks in buffer

>From this, you can find out how many blocks have been processed and put in
the output buffer.

You'd think that you could tell how many blocks there are left to process
in the input buffer.  Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the input buffer
retains its original size until the last block has begun to be processed,
at which point the client deletes the file.  If you shut down the client,
it'll re-create the input buffer file and put one block back into it.

btw, for those who don't know, there's an RC5 Mac mailing list...

To subscribe, send the following command in the body of an email message to
listserv at galactus.signalinc.com
SUBSCRIBE  rc5mac   Your_FirstName   Your_LastName
Messages to rc5mac at signalinc.com

Hope this helps a bit
Rowland.