[rc5] Re: Aren't we missing the point. WAS: Getting a few more keys/se

Paul Leskinen paul at csfi.com
Thu Jul 24 13:43:56 EDT 1997

Speaking of missing the point (and I know I'm gonna' get flamed for this
one...),  I thought the point of the whole effort was to "prove" that
56-bit encryption is not strong enough to be an international standard. It
seems to me that we're kind of proving the opposite--here we have a fairly
well-organized effort to crack the key, and it still takes 10,000 computers
over a year (roughly) to check all the keys.  Once we have the key, what
would we do with it?  Most systems that use encryption use a dynamic key
exchange fairly often (no less than once a day).  If that's true, then what
good is finding a key in a year, or even a month, if it can't be used for
anything?

Another point worth considering is that our method works great (albeit
slowly) if you know what you're looking for (i.e. the encrypted message),
but what about the case where the encrypted data is just random binary
data?  How would you know that you've found the correct key?

A secondary goal of this effort was to demonstrate how well
widely-distributed processing can work for large problems like this one. As
for that goal, I think we've already demonstrated that it's not only
feasible, but incredibly powerful. Anyone want to invest in a CPU-time
brokering business?

  -- Paul