Leavig it on? was Re: [rc5] Getting a few more keys/sec

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Jul 26 06:04:21 EDT 1997

>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 97 09:02:56 -0400
>From: "Skip Huffman" <SHuffman at Atl.Carreker.Com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Getting a few more keys/sec
>
>On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:59:36 -0400, Curtis Brown wrote:
>
>>Actually, if your monitor is just a few years old (and not monochrome), the
>>manufacturers would have us believe that they are no longer succeptible to
>>"screen burn". My 4 year-old Hitachi SuperScan Pro 15 is in dandy shape.. I
>>have not *abused* it, but it's had many a long night with that silly
>>"taskbar" burning into the lower 40 pixels :)
>

>Yeah, but you are wasting electricity.  I just poke the off button on the
>monitor when I leave the terminal for more than a few minutes.
>
>I don't worry about the CPU because I feel it is less damaging to keep it
>running than to start and stop the unit several times a day.

It depends...  There's been quite a discussion on this in comp.sys.mac.*.
It seems that the electronics doesn't care at all about being switched on
and off, although it *does* affect HDs a little.  Apparently, your average
HD is rated at something like an average of 20,000 power cycles before
failure.

The real problem is dust...  As long as the fan's on, it's drawing air-born
dirt into your computer, which can cause cooling problems, clog up
mechnical parts (like your floppy disc drive), make the fan itself noisier,
and in extreme cases cause electrical problems (dust can retain moisture,
and can include conductive fragments, such as metallised polymers.  Yes,
you probably have lots of that in the air around Christmas as you hang up
the tinsel...)

Rowland.