[rc5] How many blocks are in the buffer - answer

psychedelic-harry at mindless.com zberger at ldl.net
Sat Jul 26 02:01:44 EDT 1997

This is great, but the calculation will only be valid for small block
sizes with a small hard drive...otherwise you will run into the blocking
factor of HFS that could skew your results there....realisticly anything
not partitioned over 256M will mess this up...

On 7/24/97 7:05 Rebecca and Rowland blurted:

>I've been a bit irritated at there being no indication in the RC5 v2.000
>client of how many blocks the client's processed, or has left to do.
>
>So I've had a look at the size of the buffer files on my Mac.
>
>What I've found is this: the size of both the input and output buffer files
>is given by:
>
>size/bytes = 8 + 124 * number of blocks in buffer
>
>>From this, you can find out how many blocks have been processed and put in
>the output buffer.
>
>You'd think that you could tell how many blocks there are left to process
>in the input buffer.  Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the input buffer
>retains its original size until the last block has begun to be processed,
>at which point the client deletes the file.  If you shut down the client,
>it'll re-create the input buffer file and put one block back into it.
>
>btw, for those who don't know, there's an RC5 Mac mailing list...
>
>To subscribe, send the following command in the body of an email message to
>listserv at galactus.signalinc.com
>SUBSCRIBE  rc5mac   Your_FirstName   Your_LastName
>Messages to rc5mac at signalinc.com
>
>Hope this helps a bit
>Rowland.
>

>----
>in the body.

-=Psychedelic Harry=-
http://ldl.net/~zberger/
-----
Feminism - A social engeneering tool to enable ugly women to get dates.

  - Rush