[rc5] how I got my Linux client connected

Curtis Brown shazam at pobox.com
Sat Jul 26 06:23:42 EDT 1997

For those that are interested, this is how I got my Linux client connected.

The quick history (seen in a previous post) is that I don't yet have my
Linux box configured properly to use my PPP dialup. I can't use the
rc5-proxy, because it does not work with the new clients, and I was unable
to get WinProxy to handle the job.

The sollution was to keep the Linux rc5.ini proxy setting pointed at my
Win95box, and to specifically map port 2056 requests to
rc5proxy.distributed.net:2056 within the WinProxy config.

So I've finally delivered the 74 random blocks its been cracking this week!

as a side-note, you may be interested in the fact that a SETI program will
be using distributed computing! check it out at <http://www.bigscience.com>

-CB

shazam at pobox.com
cbrown at noc.bbn.com
http://www.pobox.com/~whichcraft/
Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check?