[rc5] Re: Aren't we missing the point. WAS: Getting a fewmore keys/se

Arvin Meyer onsite at esinet.net
Sat Jul 26 10:33:59 EDT 1997

----------
> From: Bryan MacBurney <bryan_macburney at mindlink.bc.ca>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] Re: Aren't we missing the point. WAS: Getting a
fewmore keys/se
> Date: Saturday, July 26, 1997 2:40 AM
> 	(SNIP)
> The truly nasty one is the QuickLink MessageCenter that came with my USR
> voice modem.  When I leave it running to answer my phone it takes around
> 90% CPU and an 18 minute block becomes a 3 hour block.  For comparison
> WinFax Pro takes < 1% listening for rings.  I tried RC5 (v2b0 then) in
> normal mode instead of idle but QuickLink had fits and wouldn't record
> messages properly.  I'd be happy if QuickLink used <10% waiting for calls
> and 90% for the few minutes it records but I don't know if this is
> possible.  Suggestions anyone?  This can really eat into my client's
> productivity.

Well Bryan, you've discovered how really sucky Smith Micro software really
is, and always has been. My suggestion is to replace it with almost
anything. I prefer the WinFax package, but Cheyenne BitWare is pretty good
too (WinFax is more efficient though) The last 2 versions of WinFax, (7.5 &
8.0) have a settable processor config (although it is primitive, and has
only a few settings)

                   Arvin Meyer

              On-Site Solutions

 "Developing results-oriented databases for companies
   that demand a tangible return on investment."

e-mail: onsite at esinet.net
phone:  (804) 973-9140
http://www.esinet.net/cabg/consult/onsite.html