[rc5] Identical results, two CPUs

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sat Jul 26 12:15:34 EDT 1997

----------
> Among other machines, I'm running the client on a P200/MMX and a
> regular P200.  A coworker says there's "no way" these two machines can
> be running at virtually identical speed, but they are - about 240Kk/s.
> Would anyone care to take a crack (ha ha) at explaining why they are
> the same so my coworker and I can end this silliness?
>
> Regards,
> Tom Wheeler
> tomw at intelligraphics.com

Well, the Pentium MMX has an improved branch prediction unit and a larger
internal cache, so it *should* be faster.  However, the possibility also
exists that the motherboards/bios settings differ on these systems to a
great enough extent that the MMX is being slowed down to the speed of the
Pentium Classic.  Maybe if you check out the BIOS settings on the two
computers you will find that the Pentium Classic is using more aggressive
timings, has a larger external cache, or something else.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com