[rc5] How many blocks are in the buffer - answer

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Jul 26 18:47:12 EDT 1997

>This is great, but the calculation will only be valid for small block
>sizes with a small hard drive...

It works perfectly accurately for 1, 2, 4, 5, or 10 keyblocks on my 380MB
partition.

>otherwise you will run into the blocking
>factor of HFS that could skew your results there....realisticly anything
>not partitioned over 256M will mess this up...

What you need to do is select the buffer file you're interested in, and
press cmd-I or select Get Info in the File menu of the Finder.  This will
display a standard Finder Info box which will show you how much disc space
is used by the file (which I assume is the `blocking factor' you're talking
about), and also the precise size in bytes of the file.  If you use this
precise size, rather than disc space used, you'll get accurate results.

Rowland.

P.S.  Try snipping occasionally - it reduces blood cholesterol levels and
increases your chances of going to heaven...

[snip]

>>What I've found is this: the size of both the input and output buffer files
>>is given by:
>>
>>size/bytes = 8 + 124 * number of blocks in buffer
>>
>>>From this, you can find out how many blocks have been processed and put in
>>the output buffer.
[snip]