[rc5] MacOS the top? Funny

Dave Huang khym at bga.com
Mon Jul 28 00:02:52 EDT 1997

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> Well, yes, MacOS does look like the top team, doesn't it?

Not really, MacOS is an OS, not a team. The top team seems to be:

linux at linuxnet.org   1253138   101.5 days   a long time ago   unknown

> Well, guess MacOS isn't the top.  (I don't know who updates
> rc5.distributed.net, but I'm guessing it's not someone on an x86
> processor...)

Which page are you looking at? I didn't see anything that said MacOS was
the top. http://rc5.distributed.net/stats/total/platform.html is sorted by
the numbers of blocks completed. Not counting the version 1 clients, the
v2.000 MacOS client running on a PPC has completed more blocks than any
other OS/CPU/client version. That does not imply that MacOS clients have
completed more blocks than Win32 clients, or that PPCs have completed more
blocks than x86s. What are you getting so worked up about?

And if you look at the stats by OS, you'll see that Win32 is the top OS,
with MacOS at #2, and if you look at the stats by processor, you'll see
that x86 is the top processor, with about twice as many blocks as the PPC.
(Once again not counting the v1 clients).

Calm down.
INet: khym at bga.com   |   they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++