[rc5] MacOS the top? Funny

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Mon Jul 28 08:09:47 EDT 1997

----------
> On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > Well, yes, MacOS does look like the top team, doesn't it?
>
> Not really, MacOS is an OS, not a team. The top team seems to be:
>
> linux at linuxnet.org   1253138   101.5 days   a long time ago   unknown

I apologize for my terminology, you are correct, I meant OS.

> > Well, guess MacOS isn't the top.  (I don't know who updates
> > rc5.distributed.net, but I'm guessing it's not someone on an x86
> > processor...)
>
> Which page are you looking at? I didn't see anything that said MacOS was
> the top. http://rc5.distributed.net/stats/total/platform.html is sorted
by
> the numbers of blocks completed. Not counting the version 1 clients, the
> v2.000 MacOS client running on a PPC has completed more blocks than any
> other OS/CPU/client version. That does not imply that MacOS clients have
> completed more blocks than Win32 clients, or that PPCs have completed
more
> blocks than x86s. What are you getting so worked up about?

Either I was hallucinating, or whoever updates the web page saw my post.
When I went to the main page last night, the What's New for July 28th said:
"The top OS now has a FAQ of its..."  Now it says, "MacOS now has a FAQ of
its..."

> And if you look at the stats by OS, you'll see that Win32 is the top OS,
> with MacOS at #2, and if you look at the stats by processor, you'll see
> that x86 is the top processor, with about twice as many blocks as the
PPC.
> (Once again not counting the v1 clients).
>
> Calm down.

Sorry, I just don't like the contest organizers to start playing favorites.

> Name: Dave Huang     |   Mammal, mammal / their names are called /

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com