[rc5] Buffer size

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.net
Mon Jul 28 22:47:26 EDT 1997

I've been having various problems with the networking, including a long
stretch where rc5proxy.distributed.net wouldn't work (I now use
rc5.slacker.com) and WinGate got blown away a couple of times. So I'm
wondering if I should jack up the buffer size so that I would be processing
longer at a stretch and wouldn't end up with as many "random blocks." (I
know that random blocks are probably just as good as assigned ones at this
stage of the game, but this gets less productive with each passing day.)

I'm thinking about jacking the buffer from 5 to 20 on the faster machines,
and welcome comments on that idea.

Van