[rc5] Client optimizations

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Tue Jul 29 04:33:59 EDT 1997

I understand that the new clients (2.003) will come in 4 x86 flavors:

486/P5
K5
6x86
PPro (PII as well?)

Is this correct?  Is anyone considering 6x86MX and K6 optimizations?
It seems like the K6's are really slow for their clock speed.  Can
anyone confirm whether or not they have a rotate instruction?  It has
been speculated that they might not, but no one was able to
confirm/deny this with authority.  Just curious, especially about the
6x86MX optimization.  Besides better branch prediction and a larger
(64k) L1 cache, is it that much different from the 6x86?.

Colin L. Hildinger