[rc5] Client optimizations

Bryan Talbot btalbot at qualcomm.com
Tue Jul 29 12:58:15 EDT 1997

Murray Stokely wrote:

> % Is this correct?  Is anyone considering 6x86MX and K6 optimizations?
>
> % It seems like the K6's are really slow for their clock speed.  Can
> % anyone confirm whether or not they have a rotate instruction?  It
> has
> % been speculated that they might not, but no one was able to
> % confirm/deny this with authority.  Just curious, especially about
> the
> % 6x86MX optimization.  Besides better branch prediction and a larger
> % (64k) L1 cache, is it that much different from the 6x86?.
>
> Of course they have a rotate instruction.  it is an x86 chip, therefor
>
> it can execute all the x86 instructions.
>
> Murray Stokely

But it is certainly possable that the decoder could accept the
instruction only to convert it into a series of other "native"
instructions.

Bryan

WARNING: This message attracts every other piece of matter in the
universe with a force proportional to the product of the masses and
inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.