[rc5] MacOS vs. WinNT stability

root marcus at dfwmm.net
Wed Jul 30 00:01:12 EDT 1997

Brad Spachman wrote:

> Perhaps one of the reasons that the Mac clients are moving up so quickly in
> the statistics is that the client is very stable. Rowland's (justified)
> ravings about the 2.000 client aside, I haven't had the v2 clients crash or
> misfire in any way on the Mac once since it's release.
>
> The P5/6 clients, on the other hand, crash with regularity on my NT boxes
> with application exception errors. It seems that half of my NT boxes crash
> each night.

I think that the stability is related more to the machines than to the
software. Our w95/nt/os2/linux/solaris/freeBSD clients have so far run
flawlessly. We have a mix of v1/v2 on all of these including clients
that are online for 24/7, some dialup boxes, 2 notebooks and some of
Remi's optimized v1 clients running on w95/nt and we have not heard of
any problems after the installation and was completed. The only
frequent prob is users shutting down and then forgetting to restart.
Here we are with a mere 17(I think) machines running. They range from
a 486dx2/66, to 3 p133s, 5 p166s, 2 p200s, 1 pp180, 3 pp200s, a 6x86,
and a sparc box, and we're in the top 100. Heck, when everyone remembers
to leave it running over the weekend(happened only once so far :( ), we
get over 4Mkeys/second out of our hodgepodge little team.