[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #64

John Gruver moo at apk.net
Wed Jul 30 09:50:22 EDT 1997

A couple of days ago, I wrote:

> Today's trivia:  the P200/MMX runs the RC5 56-bit decryption program
> (the one I mailed you yesterday) at about 240,000 keys/second.
> Meanwhile, my lowly 604/120 runs it at 324,000 keys/second.
> Cha-ching!
>
> ...jg
>
> Thanks for the BASIC thing; I'm downloading the manual now.

Unfortunately, I hit the hotkey for "Reply" instead of the one for
"Send to my buddy Chip" [ironic name, now that I think of it].  The
message wasn't meant for public consumption, as the postscript might
indicate.

Anyway, I'm sorry for any feathers I ruffled.  I've got a lot of Mac
pride--and I'm sure you're quite fond of your Pentiums, Alphas, and so
on--but I honestly didn't mean to post that to everyone.  The
important thing is that we use whatever we've got to find the key; it
doesn't matter what CPU does the work or even how fast it is.  Be
happy with your computer and do something fun and useful with it;
that's all I'm hoping for.

My apologies to all, and olive branches for everyone.  Let's get back
to work!

Regards,

John Gruver
Possessor of newly reconfigured hotkeys, you bet.