[rc5] MacOS vs. WinNT stability

Steve Trottier STROTTIER at novell.com
Wed Jul 30 13:50:46 EDT 1997

I read Brad's message about the WinNT instability and then a bunch of other
messages saying that "it works for me."  Well, if we're voting, it crashes
about four times a week on my WinNT box too.  I really doubt that it is a
problem with the OS.  I am able to run many other programs and they remain
stable.  I suspect that the problem is either in the WindowsNT Service
wrapper code (since I have the client running as an NT service) or in the
odd way that log files are handled.  It seems that the NT service code keeps
a log and the client tries to keep a log too (in the same file?).  The last
time it crashed, it happened as I was opening the log file.

>>> Brad Spachman <bspachman at worldnet.att.net> 07/29/97 09:12PM >>>
The P5/6 clients, on the other hand, crash with regularity on my NT boxes
with application exception errors. It seems that half of my NT boxes crash
each night. Hopefully, 2.003 will fix this, but otherwise, I'll just
restart the crashed clients each morning.