[rc5] Getting UNIX client to run nohup'ed?

Jot Powers jot at tmp.medtronic.com
Wed Jul 30 13:20:07 EDT 1997

> Greetings.  I've just jumped on this here bandwagon and have a problem.
> The Sparc clients don't seem to want to continue running after I logout,
> as they should when they're nohup'ed.  Example:

> nohup ./rc5-client &

> Then I exit, and the client says it's received a shutdown signal (which is
> really lame).  What can I do to satisfy this client?

Must be your shell.  I use tcsh, and don't even bother with the nohup
(although that should fix any problems I know of).

What OS?  (Solaris, SunOS)  Are you running as root and dealing with
a braindead /bin/sh?

Regardless, I don't have the problem with either OS and tcsh.  Observe:

node46# uname
SunOS node46 4.1C 4.1.3 sun4
node46# ps -gauxw | head -2 | tail -1
jot       2564 92.7  0.1   80  584 ?  R N  11:07  70:19 /usr/local/bin/rc5 -a node127 -n 19 jot at bofh.com

harpo% uname -a
SunOS harpo 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
harpo% ups | grep rc5
jot       8135 49.3  0.3 1384 1120 ?        R   Jun 19 51734:35 /usr/local/bin/rc5 -a node127 -n 19 jot at bofh.com

As you can see, neither of them have a tty associated with them and here
is the alias I used to start them up:

harpo% alias rc5
/usr/local/bin/rc5 -a node127 -n 19 jot at bofh.com &

--
Jot Powers
Unix System Administrator, Medtronic Micro-Rel
jot at tmp.medtronic.com
"Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation."