[rc5] MacOS vs. WinNT stability

Bryan Talbot btalbot at qualcomm.com
Wed Jul 30 15:07:48 EDT 1997

Steve Trottier wrote:

> odd way that log files are handled.  It seems that the NT service code
> keeps
> a log and the client tries to keep a log too (in the same file?).  The
> last
> time it crashed, it happened as I was opening the log file.

This is annoying but it only happens if you specify the same log file
for both the rc5v2.ini file and the service.  If the log files are
different or one of them has logging disabled, then you wont get the
duplicate entries.  The service and the client could stand to be
integrated more tightly so that the service didn't require a separate
configuration.

Brad's problem with the crashing clients must be specific to something
else at his installation.  I am having no problems with the clients
crashing on NT 4.0.

Bryan

> The P5/6 clients, on the other hand, crash with regularity on my NT
> boxes
> with application exception errors. It seems that half of my NT boxes
> crash
> each night. Hopefully, 2.003 will fix this, but otherwise, I'll just
> restart the crashed clients each morning.

WARNING: This message attracts every other piece of matter in the
universe with a force proportional to the product of the masses and
inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.