[rc5] Re: Cyberian client's rate (was New Win32 client available

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Thu Jul 31 16:09:13 EDT 1997

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Vincent Janelle wrote:

> I believe the point of this letter is that we are going at over a
> gigakey/sec.  it will take a *very, very, very* long time, at their rate,
> to catch up to us.  The differences that have been shown here are small,
> compared to the Bovine efforts speed vs the cyberian efforts total speed.

Well, no, the point is that, even though the cyberian client is faster, at
least 8% (or whatever we're up to now) of the keys they check are keys
that we've already checked.  Just like with random block generation, a
fair amount of time is wasted doing work that's already been done, which
lowers the *effective* speed of their client.  Of course, we take a small
hit too, because some of our work duplicates theirs, but there's no help
for it.

                              -Steve Langasek
-doink-