[rc5] Re: Cyberian client's rate (was New Win32 client available

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Thu Jul 31 17:45:57 EDT 1997

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Murray Stokely wrote:

> (I notice you couldn't refute my first and primary argument)

Didn't see anything there that needed refuting.

> % ...none for us either...
> I'm confused.  We are in the US.  Why are you allowed to export the
> software which clearly is over 40bits?  Just curious.  DESChall
> couldn't export their clients.

Because it's not encryption software and therefore, not strictly addressed
by current regulations.  The organizers of DESCHALL chose to limit client
export as a precaution, in order to avoid any potential complications, but
there was minimal danger of prosecution.  The Bovine clients have been
made freely available, and many people outside the US are using them.

                             -Steve Langasek
-doink-