[rc5] New competitor

Dirk Moerenhout dmoerenh at reference.be
Tue Jul 1 16:27:29 EDT 1997

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, RC5 Team wrote:

> Even though this new competitor is appealing cause of its five-fold price
> money, there are several reasons why I won't move there...
>
> * First of all I've spent already enough time setting up all the clients
>   here, optimizing and automating keeping them running.
> * The new competitor is probably still 'immature' in the sense that they
>   will find new bugs, only have 1 keyserver, give very little information
>   on their clients, etc...etc...
> * The Bovine v2 clients seem to be a success (at least for me) running
>   happily at 99.9% so to speak, thanks to the keyblock buffering, which
>   was a great idea.

These assumptions are most likely true. But figuring how many blocks they
already have done and checking when they started public gives the impression
they did a whole lot of testing.

> One but...: why is v2 so much slower on Sparcs than v1 ?!?!?! This has been
> mentioned several times here and no answers at all so far! That's why I'm
> still running v1's on those (as well as on our Alphas). So I hope you guys
> soon come up with v2's for Solaris and Alpha/OSF which perform as
> satisfactory as the Intel/Linux v2's.

Well this is one thing why you might get interested in the competitor.
They have a Sparc-client running up to 50% faster than what v1 does now.
(Sun sparc 20 (supersparc) gains 50% over here, voyager (microsparc)
gains 25%)

> 	Henk.

Dirk