[rc5] New competitor

Guan Sin Ong cceonggs at segamat.nus.edu.sg
Tue Jul 1 23:33:25 EDT 1997

Dirk Moerenhout wrote:
> > One but...: why is v2 so much slower on Sparcs than v1 ?!?!?! This has been
> > mentioned several times here and no answers at all so far! That's why I'm
> > still running v1's on those (as well as on our Alphas). So I hope you guys
> > soon come up with v2's for Solaris and Alpha/OSF which perform as
> > satisfactory as the Intel/Linux v2's.
>
> Well this is one thing why you might get interested in the competitor.
> They have a Sparc-client running up to 50% faster than what v1 does now.
> (Sun sparc 20 (supersparc) gains 50% over here, voyager (microsparc)
> gains 25%)

Bovine is simply short of good Sparc programmers. I have a few Sparc
CPUs here but am extremely disappointed by their performance. (Of course
I am aware of the lack of ROT instructions on Sparc.) But I am sure some
good Sparc programmers can optimise and make things much better. If you
know of any, recommend them to help Bovine.

GS