[rc5] New competitor (Taxes)

Paul Leskinen paul at csfi.com
Tue Jul 1 15:20:43 EDT 1997

Alright, I'll jump in here. Technically, your chances of finding the key
are basically your key rate divided by the overall key rate, or in your
case, let's say 200 KKeys/sec divided by (roughly) 1,000,000 KKeys per sec,
which works out to a pretty nice probability of 1/5000.

At my office, we're doing about 1 MKeys per second, so my odds are a very
attainable 1/1000.

Of course this varies as the overall key rate goes up and down, but if you
think about it, if you had the only machine (on the planet) working on it,
you'd have a probability of 1, even though it could take up to 714 years to
find it (at 200 KKeys/s).

Keep trying ;)

  -- Paul