[rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Wed Jul 2 04:18:58 EDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 07:01:06 -0400
>From: Marc Farnum Rendino <mvgfr at netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly
>
>At 1:20 PM -0400 on 97/06/27, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>
>> `Application unknown has quit with an error of Type 1'
>
>Any details you can give us will help track down the problem.

Performa 475 20/160 + 1GB ext HD + CD-ROM; Anubis driver on both HDs.  GV
33.6 modem.  One 14 inch monitor run from the built-in video circuitry;
standard Apple keyboard and mouse.  HP DW 520 printer connected using
LocalTalk.

System B7.6.1.

Using FreePPP 2.5v3 and OT 1.1.2.  No FreePPP/PPP Menu control panel.

Using rc5-client-68k v1 - the v2 client is not yet available for Macs.
There was no version number in the info panel.

Non System 7.6.1 extensions and control panels:

Extensions:

Disinfectant INIT
 Gatekeeper
 Gatekeeper Aid
Click, there it is!
D2 CD Init
Discolour
DW Series 6.0.3 (AT)
Emacs Keyboard
FileCrypt Menu
FreePPP
Glidel
HP Background
HP PrintMonitor
Internet Config Extension
StuffIt Engine
Text Preview
Wizard INIT

Control panels

ApplWindows
Carpetbag
Façade
Gatekeeper Controls
RAM Doubler 2  * TURNED OFF *
Scrolling
WindowShade

>This could be spurious - have you tried restarting the Mac?

I've restarted the Mac, and before trying to check another key block, I
increased the memory allocation of the rc5 client from 384K to 1024K, and
used a different command line:

-h 1 -e -s rebecca at astrid.u-net.com

rather than the original

-c 1 -e -s rebecca at astrid.u-net.com

That time, it worked without a hitch.  I have since reduced the memory
allocation to 768K and not changed the command line.  I have noticed no
other problems.

If you like, I can try running the client with the original command line.
I have avoided doing this because it was not clear that anyone was
particularly interested in the problem, and it took 12 hours to go from
launch to crash.

>Have you tried restarting holding the shift key? (Although this may disable
>networking, it's worth a try since it also disables most of the add-ons
>stowed away in the System Folder that can conflict with things.)

It's not worth a try because I can't run the client on a key block without
extensions, and the crash occured when running the client on a key block.

>Other examples: What else was happening on this Mac when the RC5 client
>unexpectedly quit?

As far as I know, the only other active applications were the Finder and HP
Print Monitor (which was just sat there, being a faceless background
application and not doing anything).

>What version of the RC5 client are you using? Do you use
>any other TCP/IP software? How sucessfully? What sort of IP connection do
>you have?

I use a GV 33.6 modem to connect to the internet using a commercial
internet provider.  The link was not up at the time of the crash.  FreePPP
2.5v3 and OT 1.1.2 handle the software side of it.

I use Eudora 3.1 light, MacSoup 2.2, Spyglass Mosaic, Netscape Naviagtor 3,
MacLynx, Anarchie, Vremya, NCSA Telnet, Finger, and YA-Newswatcher on a
regular basis with no trouble that can't be attributed to dodgy
applications (almost always Navigator).  The modem link is usually fast
(over 28.8kbps) and reliable.  I occasionally suffer dropped lines which
the modem reports as `lost carrier'.  This has been (probably) cured by
fiddling with FreePPP 2.5v3 - it seems that the ISP's modem's *were*
dropping the link for some reason, and they're not any more.

If you need any more information, or would like me to try anything, let me
know.

Best regards,
Rowland.