[rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly

Marc Farnum Rendino mvgfr at netcom.com
Wed Jul 2 08:46:38 EDT 1997

At 10:18 PM -0400 on 97/07/01, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

> Anubis driver on both HDs

How recent is the driver? I've seen _lots_ of crashes because the driver
wasn't compatible with a newer OS.

> GV 33.6 modem

GV makes good stuff, but there are so many extensions!

> System B7.6.1

Haven't heard of this one - what's the "B"?

> Using FreePPP 2.5v3

I recently tried Apple's OT/PPP - and haven't gone back. Unless FreePPP
offers you something OT/PPP doesn't, I'd give it a try.

> Using rc5-client-68k v1 - the v2 client is not yet available for Macs.
> There was no version number in the info panel.

Right, but I believe there were a few V1 releases. The current is dated
97/05/05.

> Non System 7.6.1 extensions and control panels:

but it might be useful to try it w/o them.

> used a different command line:
>
> -h 1 -e -s rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
>
> rather than the original
>
> -c 1 -e -s rebecca at astrid.u-net.com

Hmm... I don't recognize (and can't find in the docs) some of those
parameters: what are '-e' and '-s'?

Also, I'd recommend using "-a rc5proxy.distributed.net" to get to the new
distributed proxy server.

> it took 12 hours to go from launch to crash.

Ouch! I do wish there were a smaller block size. I'm running the client on
some SE/30's and it takes something like 30 hours. :)

> The link was not up at the time of the crash.

Aha! :) It's been my experience that setting the link to auto-connect on
traffic (which may well have been what was happening at the time of the
crash) is (IMO) a recipe for disaster. I have seen what appears to be an
improvement in this area with OT/PPP, but I still avoid it most of the time.

> I use Eudora 3.1 light, MacSoup 2.2, Spyglass Mosaic...
> I occasionally suffer dropped lines which
> the modem reports as `lost carrier'...

All sounds normal there.

Let us know how it goes.

- Marc