[rc5] Reform the mailing list

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Wed Jul 2 14:34:34 EDT 1997

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Andrew Glazebrook wrote:
> a) A distributed help system. Instead of having e-mails go to the main
> list, have them go to rc5help at distributed.net or something similar. Then
> have the e-mails split up and sent between volunteers to answer - a lot of
> people ask questions which can easily be answered (particularly when
> something obvious is wrong like the web server). Possibly even different
> e-mail addresses could be selected based on client (so that way, for
> example, mac users would send to machelp at rc5.etc, and it would be
> forwarded between a few different people to reply to). A helper mailing
> list would be useful as well, or a contact list of those who know the
> nitty gritty about the clients (or whatever) - that way those who have
> better things to be doing (such as enhancements) only need to answer the
> questions once on that list, and the helpers can pass the information on.
> It would also avoid some of the guestimation that goes on in the main list
> (not that this seems to be a major problem).

One potential problem I see here is that, if the questions are being sent
privately to 'tech support,' the rest of the group doesn't benefit from
seeing the question and its subsequent answer.  Which means other people
who have the same problem will be sending their own emails... whereas if
they were posted to the list, there's at least a chance that they were
paying attention the first time around and got their answer before they
knew they needed it. :)

Plus, the talents and knowledge of the volunteers would be so varied that
it would be difficult to know who to direct the question to... and if it
isn't, the question probably belongs in a FAQ.

YMMV.

                              -Steve Langasek
-doink-