[rc5] Running more RC-5 client tasks under OS/2

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Wed Jul 2 19:44:06 EDT 1997

On Wed, 02 Jul 1997 22:28:19 +0100, Denes Eglesz wrote:

>Hello !
>I joined this RC-5 cracking thing in the last week, but I have
>a question about it:
>Can I run more than one tasks of RC 5 client to improve the speed ?

No.  Only run multiple clients if you have multiple processors or need
to extend the time between connections to the keyserver (since each
would work at 1/2 speed).

>I'm using OS/2 Warp 3.0, and one RC5 task only uses about 10 percent
>of the CPU (accroding to Pulse).    I saw on one of the RC5 pages, that
>I have to run 1 task for one processor. My machine has only 1 processor
>(intel Pentium 133), but I think it would do better results r
>to run multiple RC5 client tasks.
>I'm waiting your answers.

Don't worry about what pulse says.  A P133 will get about 150kk/s on an
inactive machine, less on an active one.  Check out the Team Warped
page and the Team Warped mailing list for good discussion of running
the client in OS/2 (see my .sig which some people here think is
obnoxiously long ;-) ).

Colin L. Hildinger
| Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine! |  The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page         |
| http://www.os2ezine.com/    |	http://www.ionet.net/~colin/games.html |
|	   The Official Unofficial AWE32 and OS/2 Warp Page	       |
| 		http://www.ionet.net/~colin/awe32.html		       |