[rc5] OFFICIAL: V2 Clients Are Now Available

Brian Hechinger wonko at blackhole.arkham.net
Wed Jul 2 23:21:59 EDT 1997

Oscar Chang drunkenly mumbled...

>   From what I understand, the PPro is faster, but nothing changed in the
> way it pipelines data and instructions, basically it's faster because of
> it's bigger cache and higher running speed. No real need to have a
> seperate binary for that.

my limited understanding of the whole PC thing aside, this is what i know.

PPros are faster because:

the internal (L1) cache is larger)
the external (L2) cache runs at a much higher speed since it is on the chip
it does not deal well with 16-bit code as it is a "true" 32-bit CPU.
the higher speed.

i think that is all.

-brian

--