[rc5] v2 win95 questions

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Mon Jun 30 16:30:13 EDT 1997

> On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Mike McClelland wrote:
> > >I'm running version 2 for win95 and have been doing around 20 blocks at a
> > >time to reduce connection time(dial-up). I can't tell how far along I am in
> > >the set of twenty blocks. The console view no longer says 15 of 20 etc. I'm
> > >always hoping it's on the last block and then another one starts.
> > >Can the client be configured to initiate my dial-up connection? If so how?
> > >I don't want to have the thing finish at 9 AM and sit there doing nothing
> > >until I get home at 6 PM. Right now I estimate the time till completion and
> > >try to work out the right number of blocks to get and then try to work this
> > >into my schedule so I can start another set without much idle time. Very
> > >inconvenient.
> > >Are there more command line switches than those listed in the FAQ for
> > >version 2? Any suggestions would be
> > > much appreciated.
> >
> > I believe that you can manage the buffer separately from the thread that is
> > crunching the keys.  Just before you leave in the morning, open a second window
> > and run "rc5v2 -flush" and "rc5v2 -fetch" to flush out the completed blocks and
> > fetch new ones.  You shouldn't have to wait until the entire set of blocks is
> > completed to do this.
> >
> > Jeff Thompson
> > beff at mhv.net
>

> I would like to reask a question in this post because no one has as of yet
> answered it.  Is there a way to tell windows95 to dial automaticly and
> then hang up when it's done?

For Win95, get Microsoft's ISDN v1.1 package (free from their web
site).  It fixes a couple of bugs in the dialer, and might even do
the dial-on-demand bit itself.  In addition to this, I recommend
getting either DUNCE (Dial-Up Network Connection Enhancer) or RAS+.
Both (and some other choices) are available from TUCOWS
(http://www.tucows.com).

Tim Charron
tcharron at interlog.com
tcharron at ctfinance.com