[rc5] Offline cracking, etc?

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Sun Jun 1 15:17:00 EDT 1997

At 11:00 PM 6/1/97 +0200, Neilen Marais wrote:
>I'm wondering how long a rc5 proxy server will wait for a block to be
>returned before giving up on it?  I'm asking, because one machine I'm
>cracking on takes a bit more than 24hrs to do a block hehe.

This is not an issue.  Unanswered key blocks will not be reissued by any of
the proxies until we have run out of undistributed key space.

>Also, if I were to install a proxy server myself, how long could I go w/o
>connected to the net?  I'm asking, because while I'm at university, my home
>computer does pretty much nothing, but I could get it to connect to the net
>every now and then, but probably not more than about 2 times a week...

As always, time durations are always dependent upon rate.  The personal
UNIX proxies can buffer up to 100 blocks, so however long it takes you to
do that many blocks is your answer.

>Also, I see in the benchmarks page that there are two versions of the linux
>client, and the one seems slightly faster than the other, yet only the one
>is on the download list?

New client distributions will begin sometime early next week.  Because of
this, questions regarding the distribution/availability of the old clients
are of little significance.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lawson     <jlawson at hmc.edu>    http://rc5.distributed.net/
Original Organizer/Programmer of the Bovine RC5 Cracking Effort