[rc5] keyspace flaw

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Mon Jun 2 12:50:41 EDT 1997

At 02:41 PM 5/29/97 -0400, Fedor Kouranov wrote:
>And also, concerning the people organizing their own 'meaner'
>efforts. I think Jeff should copyright the clients and proxies,
>and prohibit using of his code outside of the rc5.distributed.net
>effort. I did not see a copyright notice anywhere. If someone
>steals our victory, we can challenge the winner to show a working
>cracker and send the penalty to Gutenberg ;-)

Currently the clients that we are using a those from the original Genx
effort.  Once we release the new clients this week, the codebase should be
sufficiently different that it might be possible for a copyright to stand
up legally.

>Now, two questions. DESCHALL guys seem to get done within 11
>weeks. Has anyone tried to negotiate with them about
>transferring their resources to us after they have their champagne?

Yes, this has been done and both efforts have agreed to point their people
over to our effort.

>And, yeah, is anyone on this list affected by my line lengths? I
>can turn on the wrapping, but I dislike it.

Yes, it is a problem.