[rc5] keyspace flaw

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 2 16:07:33 EDT 1997

On Mon, Jun 02, 1997 at 11:50:41AM -0700, Jeff Lawson wrote:
>At 02:41 PM 5/29/97 -0400, Fedor Kouranov wrote:
>>effort. I did not see a copyright notice anywhere. If someone
>>steals our victory, we can challenge the winner to show a working
>>cracker and send the penalty to Gutenberg ;-)
>
>effort.  Once we release the new clients this week, the codebase should be
>sufficiently different that it might be possible for a copyright to stand
>up legally.

I would first of all like to point out that neither the crackers nor the
proxies are really that much of a monumental programming effort.  I built
my proxy server over the course of a few hours one evening...  Secondly,
I've never seen the actual proxy or bovine server code release, so it
would pretty much require thatat least the proxies are re-written if
somone wants to build an effort.  Showing "a working cracker" could
be just a few hours work after the fact...

And finally, because the bovine servers don't recycle keys, it's not
even like you can be sure that a majority of the keys in the first
1.7% of the keyspace have been searched...

I think the more important concern is that we not actively drive people
away with paranoia.  :-)

Enjoy,
Sean
--
 Put out fires during the daytime.  Do your real work at night.
 Sleep is just an addiction.  -- Dieter Muller