[rc5] keyspace flaw

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Mon Jun 2 18:04:51 EDT 1997

At 03:07 PM 6/2/97 -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>And finally, because the bovine servers don't recycle keys, it's not
>even like you can be sure that a majority of the keys in the first
>1.7% of the keyspace have been searched...

The number displayed on the executive summary represents the number of
acknowledgements received back, not those distributed.

The keymaster actually does recycle keys, but it does so on over a longer
time period--when the keyspace wraps.  When it does wrap, it will then
begin redistributing keys that notifications have not been received back
for.  The fact that we are not distributing randomly generated keys at this
moment is a minor one--it is merely an option that is enabled or disabled
in the server setup.