[rc5] keyspace flaw

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 3 13:44:48 EDT 1997

On Tue, Jun 03, 1997 at 07:30:36PM +0200, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
>which would indicate that 5.03% of all possible blocks weren given out -
>1.77% reported back, 3.26% didn't. That leaves enough distance between 0

That's pretty amazing!  I'm real curious if those numbers are correct.
It would seem to indicate that for every keyblock that's done there are
nearly two that are checked out and not returned.  Does this indicate
that people are picking up the clients, running them for 15 minutes and
getting bored and stopping?  Perhaps a smaller key-block size would
increase production by up to 200%?

Not that my sucking down 3K key blocks and chewing on them for a week helps
these numbers any, but at least my setup goes through ALL the keys
(recycling them every week or so).  I imagine that if this is the problem,
the new clients are going to make it even worse -- now people who get
bored will be sucking down more than one key and not finishing...

Sean
--
 "I can sum it up in one word:  Indescribable!"  -- Gonzo