[rc5] bored? No, Windows 95!

Matt J. Gumbley csa49 at keele.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 10:30:29 EDT 1997

At 12:44 03/06/97 -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 03, 1997 at 07:30:36PM +0200, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
>>which would indicate that 5.03% of all possible blocks weren given out -
>>1.77% reported back, 3.26% didn't. That leaves enough distance between 0
>
>That's pretty amazing!  I'm real curious if those numbers are correct.
>It would seem to indicate that for every keyblock that's done there are
>nearly two that are checked out and not returned.  Does this indicate
>that people are picking up the clients, running them for 15 minutes and
>getting bored and stopping?  Perhaps a smaller key-block size would
>increase production by up to 200%?

I'm not "getting bored and stopping", but the machine which runs my rc5
client is a Windows 95 box (for my sins), and so crashes are an everyday
experience. One learns to live with such bloated bugware... I hope the new
clients can download a large number of blocks, save the current position to
disk frequently and resume on startup!

Matt Gumbley        | Email:  |
Research Assistant  | csa49 @ |                Happy?
Rm 106, Comp. Sci.  | keele . |
Dept., Keele Univ.  | ac . uk |  [These are my views, not necessarily
+44 (0)1782 583438  |         |    those of .cs.keele.ac.uk -- MJG]