FW: [rc5] 56 bits seem to be enough

David Christensen dchrist at home.com
Wed Jun 4 17:58:13 EDT 1997

I have a tendency to agree with you that 56 bits seems pretty good today.
 Consider this:

My Pentium Pro 233 system can check about 385 Kkeys/sec.

The current rate is about 390,731 Kkeys/sec.

Thus, the current rate could be maintained by using 1014 Pentium Pro
systems
(390,731/385), at a cost of about $1.5 million (1014 * $1500).

And even this setup still wouldn't find the key for a single message for
about
5.5 years (worst case, 2.75 years average case).  This would make it pretty
expensive for most users, but this budget is easily within range of most
governments.
I remember reading somewhere that the US government had contracted with
Intel
to build some type of computer using a very large array (2000?) of Pentium
Pro
CPU's, so this type of setup is not infeasible.

Of course, you shouldn't forget Grove's law.  CPU's will double in power
every
18 months.  A task that will take 5.5 years today may only take 2.75 years
with
the next generation of CPUs.  If Grove's law holds, 6 years from now the
same
1014 systems could crack the code in 4 months.

Therefore, if we want to adopt some sort of standard encryption method to
enable
global, secure commerce, we should select one that will be secure for more
than
just a few years.

David Christensen
email: dchrist at home.com