[rc5] 56 bits seem to be enough

Adam L. Beberg beberg at charlie.cns.iit.edu
Thu Jun 5 00:33:59 EDT 1997

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Chris Carlin wrote:
> There's also the technology standpoint. We are proving that distributed
> computing is feasible and that it can actually be used to accomplish
> something. Who knows, one of us might come up with some phenominal new
> way of rigging the clients and servers that will boost distributed
> computing to a daily occurance.

*cackles* *grin* *ahem*
just wait ;)

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this should be the main thing we push when
we talk to people, the crypto thing is only for the US citizen types, and
the $ is really irrelivant since most is going to a good cause...

I also figure we're doing about a Tera-OP/second, not the magical FLOPS, but
still quite impressive...

56bit crypto _is_ weak, but we only have 5k hosts involved, which is a
trivial portion of the net...

- Duncan