[rc5] 56 bits seem to be enough

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jun 5 01:43:23 EDT 1997

On Wed, Jun 04, 1997 at 11:33:59PM -0500, Adam L. Beberg wrote:
>Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this should be the main thing we push when
>we talk to people, the crypto thing is only for the US citizen types, and

4 month ago when I had lunch with my half-boss (don't ask :-), we were talking
and I said that I felt the future was going to be a bunch of cheap PCs running
distributed, and who cares if there's a hardware or software problem on one
of them -- the other 49 can keep on chugging...

Last month when I ran across this effort, I wrote it up and sent out a
description of it to several folks at my (then ex) work-place (had to
leave because I reached the limit of allowable contract-work).

I was working there doing system support for a couple of handfulls of
large UNIX machines.  This place was a big mainframe shop, but has been
moving towards Unix -- however all their Unix machines look like
mainframes -- because all the applications they write look like
mainframe apps...

There was a demonstration at the last Usenix conference where a guy showed
off his distributed processing system in which a back-ground daemon ran on
everyone's machine, and then users could submit the jobs...  The demo was
pretty impressive, largely in part because he was such a great presenter.
I seem to recall he was from UT Austin.

Sean
--
 "I can sum it up in one word:  Indescribable!"  -- Gonzo