[rc5] key security question

Fedor Kouranov ted99 at ibm.net
Fri Jun 6 13:49:38 EDT 1997

On 06/06/97 Henry W Miller <mill0440 at gold.tc.umn.edu> said:

>With XOR systems the key is not reused EVER.  you print up two identical
>pads of paper with the key on it.  You take one pad with you, and leave
>the other pad with your trusted friend.  If someone steals you pad they
>can send fake messages form you only until the pad runs out.  The beauty

OK, this way of encryption is 100% secure for the price of unconvenient
keys. A zip drive 'pad' will allow two people to send each other about 5K
medium-sized (20Kb) letters. Not too bad. It will make sense if you give it
to a spy (OK, just to your lover) before s/he goes for a mission (home).
But if you talk Internet... no way. Also, the key will eventually run out
(Well, we can have a Gbyte of true randomness ;).

 /** Christ is risen ! *** __+__ ******  Fedor "Ted" Kouranov  *****/
 /* Xristos voskrese ! **   \|    ** ted99 at ibm.net * fedor at bu.edu **/
 /** Xristos anesti ! ****   |\  ** http://enz.siobc.ras.ru/~fedor */