[rc5] Solaris client slow?

Tom Guptill tgpt at kudzu.pas.rochester.edu
Fri Jun 13 10:21:32 EDT 1997

Were the "slower" machines running on multiprocessor systems?  (i.e. does
the output of "mpstat" look like this: (SPARC 10MP412)

CPU minf mjf xcal  intr ithr  csw icsw migr smtx  srw syscl  usr sys  wt idl
  0    3   0    7    88   32   36    8    2    0    0   513   26  12   2  60
  2    3   0    8    88   32   38    8    2    0    0   220   25  10   2  63

instead of this: (SPARC 2)

CPU minf mjf xcal  intr ithr  csw icsw migr smtx  srw syscl  usr sys  wt idl
  0    4   0    0   121   20   41   14    0    0    0    86   56   2   0  41

?

Multiprocessor suns running Solaris don't run processes across multiple
processors; whatever processor you start your program on is the one it runs
on.  This means you need to start two processes to take advantage of a
dual-processor systems.

There are arguments for and against implementing multiprocessing this way.
It works very well on a busy "shell machine", but pretty poorly if you need
to do a single complex calculation...

- Tom

On Fri, Jun 13, 1997 at 10:06:17AM +0900, Fred Bremmer wrote:
> At 4:08 PM -0700 6/12/97, Trey Valenta wrote:
> >My Sparc is doing about 67000 keys per second at most.
>
> I had similar performance on a couple of Sparc systems, until I noticed
> (with "ps") that the rc5 client was never getting more than 50% of the CPU
> time. Since the same client was getting 99% of the CPU time on other
> Solaris systems, I figured there must be some built-in limit on how much
> CPU time a job can get on those systems. My solution is to run two clients
> on the limited machines, and it works great. Each client is processing
> between 60,000 and 75,000 keys per second, for a total between 120,000 and
> 150,000 kps.
>
> Try it, and see what you get.
>
> -Fred
>

> ----

Tom Guptill                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
UNIX SA                         University of Rochester  Rochester, NY USA
                                HEPNet:  tgpt at urhep