[rc5] Solaris client slow?

Trey Valenta trey at zipcon.net
Fri Jun 13 08:29:43 EDT 1997

> You need to comare a comptuers AFTER they are running optimised versions
> of the program you want to run on them.  In general your sparc will come
> up better then an intel chip, but there are exceptions.

No argument there, and for the most part, that was my question. Is the
client for Sparc fully optimized? I am not familiar with the rc5 code at
all and have not seen it in the least. Having come in late (I was on
another team I admit) I am missing some of the information perhaps.
Still, for all I know the client was developed on a PC and optimized for
an Intel chip. For all I know the client was ported to other platforms
and not optimized for the specific system. I unfortunately deleted my
logs, but I was sure that the client I had been previously runnin was
significantly faster. Hence, the question.

As for Tom's question as to the possibility of the 'slower' machines
being multi-processor, you tell me. My Sparc isn't since the only extra
processor I have is from a Sparc 10 and it won't work in my 20. And I
can't get away with running the client on the Ultra at work.

-Trey

Trey Valenta	trey at zipcon.net

"This is a job for BOB VIOLENCE and SCUM, the INCREDIBLY STUPID MUTANT
DOG."
		-- Bob Violence