[rc5] Solaris client slow?

Henry W Miller mill0440 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Fri Jun 13 20:04:51 EDT 1997

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Trey Valenta wrote:

> I dont think it does since the source code from the desclient that I was
> using makes mention of that fact. However, I am not sure of what is
> different that that client reports 200k+ keys/s on my Sparc.

DES is very different from RC5.  I don't know the details, but if you
suddenly discoverd a hole in say DES that would not help us crack RC5,
and vis versa.  (holes in RC5 won't accect DES secerity)  Part of the
difference means that DES doens't need anywhere near as many rotations.

There has been some debate over sending Sparc/MIPS people over to DES,
whihc will help that challenge, and then we can take over all the intel
machines that will be idel once they break that code.  If you nkow
someone with a intel (ppro espessially) please trade, I understand you
can do more work for DES then they can, while then can do more work for
RC5 then you can.  (If I'm wrong disregaurd this, but I think sparcs are
faster on DES, I've never accually checked it)