[rc5] A few questions

Oscar Chang oscarc at divideby0.com
Sun Jun 15 23:39:48 EDT 1997

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997 13:50:39 -0400, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

>I'm participating in DESCHALL and will be moving to RC5 when it's
>finished or maybe sooner.  What I'd like to know is, is there a stats

  The stats are under Executive Summary, at
http://rc5.distributed.net/stats/
We've only gotten 2.41% of the total keyspace. :(

>page?  I'd like to see how fast the OS/2 clients go.  Also, have they
>been optimized in assembly or are they just C ports?  Assembly could
>probably really help them out.

  Their optimized and use asm and since it uses EMX it almost mostly the
same as the unix clients. I'll also eventually port it to native OS/2
(using the watcom compiler) and that should speed it up a bit more. There
are some things that don't work under OS/2 unless you use the OS/2
specific functions (signal handling and priority setting), but I've added
those in the rc5-os2-new.zip that's on the client page.
  Henry W Miller, did the original port and I'll be helping out and
hopefully making a PM version (just don't hold your breath :> ).
  There is a client comparison link on the lower part of this page,
http://rc5.distributed.net/rc5-clients.html
  Thing is it's not always up for some reason. If memory serves, the OS/2
client is just a bit slower then the Linux client on the same CPU, and
faster then the NT client... but I could be wrong. Anyway welcome aboard.
:) Your happy to join my email team, rc5 at divideby0.com.

---
oscarc at divideby0.com
You won't be undefined when you Divide By Zero.
http://www.divideby0.com