[rc5] 64 bit Mips executable not working!

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 16 07:36:11 EDT 1997

On Mon, Jun 16, 1997 at 11:37:48AM +0000, S Keunecke [M.ING E&E] wrote:
>I have tried the 64 bit mips4 executable on our machines and it does
>not work! It gives the following message:
>rc5-56-client: Obtaining Key Mask from ``255.255.255.255:23''.

Uh, I would *DOUBT* that you actually want to get keys from 255.255.255.255!
It looks like you're using a name instead of IP address for where to get
the keys from -- I've found sometimes it comes up with 255s when it can't
find the name.  Try picking an IP address and using that as the key server
address.

Speaking of which, somone needs to modify the code so that when an attempt
fails to connect to the key-server, it retries *AFTER* re-resolving the
*ORIGINAL* host-name passed in.  When the rc5proxy round robin was set up,
they said "Now, eventually your host will be able to get through."  As
the Round Robin is never consulted again, that's NOT going to happen.
You'll just keep banging away against a down/unreachable site.

I threw some patches into my personal proxy and it works great...

Sean
--
 "We've secretly replaced the Dilithium Crystals on these starships with
 Folger's.  Let's see if they can tell the difference."  -- Sean and Anne