[rc5] OS/2 Client -o broken?

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Thu Jun 19 09:26:38 EDT 1997

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 07:06:33 -0500 (CDT), Henry W Miller wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Jun 97 23:53:19 -0700, DevBahn - OS/2 Programmers Sanctuary
>> wrote:
>> >Just settling in after months of DES cracking, and was noticing the
>> >client suddenly started bailing out when I was trying to bump up the -o
>> >number after work today (The machines are at work). If I raise the -o
>> >number (usually 1) above 1 (2, 3, or 4), it aborts with "os2class:
>> >Error 0" everytime. Any ideas,as I'd really like to crunch a little
>> >harder at night if I can. Thanks.
>>
>> I get the same thing. :-(  I wanted to set to 3 overnight, but it was a
>> no-go.
>
>You won't crunch harder overnight be chaning the priority unless you are
>running something else overnight as well.  The priority is used ONLY where
>two or more processes (at different priorities) want to run to decide
>which process gets more CPU time.  If you have one process it makes no
>difference what priority you give it, the entire cpu (minus OS overhead)
>will be avaibal to it.

But when you consider all the WPS threads, etc., it could make a minor
difference.  Also, I had a download going most of the night that
probably was taking more CPU than it really needed.  -o 2 would have
helped at least for last night's case.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/