[rc5] OS/2 Client -o broken?

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Thu Jun 19 09:55:21 EDT 1997

On Thu, 19 Jun 97 08:26:38 -0500, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 07:06:33 -0500 (CDT), Henry W Miller wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

>>> I get the same thing. :-(  I wanted to set to 3 overnight, but it was a
>>> no-go.
>>
>>You won't crunch harder overnight be chaning the priority unless you are
>>running something else overnight as well.  The priority is used ONLY where
>>two or more processes (at different priorities) want to run to decide
>>which process gets more CPU time.  If you have one process it makes no
>>difference what priority you give it, the entire cpu (minus OS overhead)
>>will be avaibal to it.
>
>But when you consider all the WPS threads, etc., it could make a minor
>difference.  Also, I had a download going most of the night that
>probably was taking more CPU than it really needed.  -o 2 would have
>helped at least for last night's case.

Oh, also, -o 1 runs at 100 (the lowest possible priority, idle +00) and
no -o option runs at 200 (standard applications use 200), so use no -o
option if you want to have the effect that -o 2 should have.  Yes it
will take slices from other programs, but it will also crack a few more
keys.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/