[rc5] Mac DESChall -> Mac Bovine RC5

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Thu Jun 19 13:54:34 EDT 1997

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:14:41 -0700, TC Lai wrote:

>* What's the deal with the keyserver?  I keep losing it and the client goes
>into a sleep cycle that never stops.  Could this be due to the fact I'm on
>PPP, or was the server actually on the fritz?

Are you using the right one?  Use:

rc5proxy.distributed.net

>* I've heard of neat-o options to download a block and process it over the
>weekend - is that coming to the Mac client anytime soon?

Andrew's going to port the new code when it's final, so I suspect so.

>And some general questions:
>
>* How bad is the spoofing?/Are rogue clients doing damage?
>* If they are, is there any way of recovering that keyspace?

I asked the same questions.  Yes, there have been detected attempts.
We don't know about undetected ones.  The new clients will supercede
the existing ones and will use a different varification scheme.  The
new clients will not have public source.  I expect the old clients will
be disabled completely on the new servers.

>* When are the stats going to work? (so I can see how many people surged
>into the RC5 effort after DESChall.)

The answer is a lot, so many that the web server is having problems
with the load.  This will hopefully clear up once everyone's through
downloading the clients.

Colin L. Hildinger

Join Team Warped Today and Help Win RSA's 56-bit RC5 Contest
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page