[rc5] Timeout?

Michael Driscoll fenris at lightspeed.net
Thu Jun 19 21:47:16 EDT 1997

>	I am using a proxy server and trying to determine proper values
>for how many keys I should have buffered.  I only connect twice a day,
>mostly in the evening.  What I am wondering is, do the servers 'give up'
>on keys after a time?  ie - I download 100 keys and it takes me 1 or 2
>days to get the results back, is their a certain amount of time I have to
>return the keys by before they are reassigned?

As Jeff said the other day on the #rc5 channel, the current expire time
for blocks is about 3.83 years :-)  In other words, the blocks don't
get reassigned until we reach 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and we start to fill in
the gaps.

Beyond that, there is no limit on how long you take to report blocks, in
fact we'll even take blocks that were never handed out (for example the
random blocks generated by the TimC client in case the server can't be
reached).
		Mike
--
---.-- Thinking of Maud you forget everything else.--More--
------             char *home_page_pointer = (char *)http://frob.base.org/;