[rc5] Timeout?

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Fri Jun 20 00:24:46 EDT 1997

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:47:16 -0700, Michael Driscoll wrote:

>>	I am using a proxy server and trying to determine proper values
>>for how many keys I should have buffered.  I only connect twice a day,
>>mostly in the evening.  What I am wondering is, do the servers 'give up'
>>on keys after a time?  ie - I download 100 keys and it takes me 1 or 2
>>days to get the results back, is their a certain amount of time I have to
>>return the keys by before they are reassigned?
>
>As Jeff said the other day on the #rc5 channel, the current expire time
>for blocks is about 3.83 years :-)  In other words, the blocks don't
>get reassigned until we reach 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and we start to fill in
>the gaps.
>
>Beyond that, there is no limit on how long you take to report blocks, in
>fact we'll even take blocks that were never handed out (for example the
>random blocks generated by the TimC client in case the server can't be
>reached).

FWIW - We've handed out ~5.9% of the blocks, but only 2.6% have been
checked in.  And that doesn't include any random blocks generated by
Tim's client.  I turned in 30 of those yesterday, and another few today
(testing).  Anyway, I expect we'll get to 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF well before
we reach 50% checked.  Of course the new clients may reduce the number
of blocks which disappear.

Colin L. Hildinger

Join Team Warped Today and Help Win RSA's 56-bit RC5 Contest
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page